Four-Four-Two.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four-Four-Two.co.uk

Discussion Forum For Football Fans Around The World!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cole To the rescue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nelson

Nelson

Male
Number of posts : 8872
Club : La Galaxy
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 am

Two-goal hero Joe Cole spared England's blushes as Fabio Capello's side began their World Cup qualifying campaign with a stuttering victory over Andorra.

In Capello's first competitive match in charge, England dominated but were booed off at half-time after failing to break down Andorra's packed defence.

Cole came on at the break and made an instant impact, volleying home Frank Lampard's free-kick on 49 minutes.

Six minutes later, Cole prodded home his second from Wayne Rooney's pass.

It was a match reminiscent of England's last visit to the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona, under Steve McClaren in March 2007, when they were also jeered off at the interval and had to wait until Steven Gerrard's 54th-minute goal to break the deadlock against the part-timers.

Again England's frustration grew as Andorra, ranked 186th in the world, continued to hold out and Capello will be relieved that the changes he made at the break paid dividends.

He may have left established players such as Joe Cole and David Beckham on the bench here with that match in mind but it will worry him that their replacements struggled against such unheralded opposition.

Initially, Capello's decision to hand a first start to Theo Walcott looked a good one, with the Arsenal forward involved in two good chances in the first three minutes.

Walcott used his pace to reach a ball on the byeline then sent it across the face of goal and, after Rooney miscued, Jermain Defoe was beaten to the ball by Koldo.

Seconds later, Walcott ran into the area to meet a lofted pass from Rooney but had to rush his shot and clipped the ball narrowly over.

606: DEBATE
Overall, I think this is a good result because Andorra had 11 men in their own half most of the time

Footastic footy
It was a promising start for England but, despite them staying in complete control, that was as good as it got for the visitors in front of goal in the first half.

Capello continued to try to use Walcott's speed on the right flank but he was increasingly crowded out as the match wore on.

And, with Stewart Downing's crossing completely ineffective on the opposite wing, England quickly ran out of ideas.

Too many times the ball was pumped aimlessly into the Andorra area where, with Defoe unable to offer a physical presence, it was easily cleared by defenders.

Fabio Capello
Capello saw his England side struggle for ideas in the first half
The travelling England fans showed their discontent as the players came off at the interval and, unsurprisingly, Capello made changes - replacing the Downing with Joe Cole and sending Emile Heskey on in place of Defoe.

Cole had a point to prove after being left out of Capello's last four starting line-ups and immediately looked lively.

He soon made his presence felt too, providing an emphatic first-time finish when Joleon Lescott flicked Lampard's free-kick into his path.

The goal visibly lifted England and John Terry went close to making it 2-0 when he drove a shot into the side-netting from the edge of the area.

A second goal was not long coming, however, and inevitably it was Cole who got it - running on to Rooney's superbly weighted pass to prod the ball past the onrushing Koldo.

Glen Johnson thought he had added a third just after the hour mark but his powerful strike was ruled out because Cole - for once the villain - had drifted into an offside position.

By now England were more than comfortable and Terry also came close to adding to their tally against a side that managed only one shot on target in the entire match and were clearly only interested in damage-limitation.

But there are harder tests to come in Group Six, starting with the trip to Zagreb on Wednesday to face Croatia - the scourge of McClaren in his failed bid to reach Euro 2008.

Andorra: Alvarez, Ayala, Txema, Sonejee, Antoni Lima (Fernandez 90), Ildefons Lima, Pujol (Vales 90), Vieira, Silva (Toscano 65), Jimenez, Andorra.
Subs Not Used: Josep Anton Gomez, Riera, Escura, Moreno.

Booked: Silva, Vieira, Antoni Lima.

England: James, Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Ashley Cole, Walcott, Barry, Lampard (Beckham 79), Downing (Joe Cole 45), Rooney, Defoe (Heskey 45).
Subs Not Used: Robinson, Brown, Bridge, Bentley.

Goals: Joe Cole 49, 55.

Att: 17,500

Ref: Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey).
Back to top Go down
bhudda

bhudda

Male
Number of posts : 1386
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 2:29 pm

never watched it out of protest i have got full package on sky plus have done since it was out and both football and boxing costs extra to watch no fukin chance was right pissed off no point having sky at all
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 pm

i personally think sky own setanta you know
Back to top Go down
Darlo vicki

Darlo vicki

Female
Number of posts : 1710
Club : Darlington
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 4:46 pm

i get setanta free cause am on virgin but that means i only get sky sports 1 when i used to get sky sports 3 and sky sport news , i much prefer sky as the quality of setanta is rubbish ive switched from sky to setanta and the picture is miles more clear on sky . England fans were singing we hate setanta and BBC BBC lol i think england games should be on BBC so every gets to see there country play.
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 5:34 pm

yeah valid poiint vicky wray and im fortunate to have both
Back to top Go down
Billy Casper

Billy Casper

Male
Number of posts : 5869
Club : Barnsley Football Club

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

I have both, but im not wasting my time watching them, there a complete joke.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hihosuperbarnsley.bebo.com
BarryEvans
Admin
Admin
BarryEvans

Male
Number of posts : 10784
Club : Doncaster Rovers

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 7:58 pm

TommySwfc wrote:
i personally think sky own setanta you know

LOL Why?
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 1:47 am

well think about it your telling me that sky would possibley lose the england games ?
Back to top Go down
Darlo vicki

Darlo vicki

Female

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 pm

i think setanta should just be like a scottish one and jus play all scottish games and give back sky the england games then no one will watch setanta except for scottish fans because i think its shit !
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 pm

end of the day more football to watch for those who have setanta
Back to top Go down
Darlo vicki

Darlo vicki

Female

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 9:38 pm

yeh but dnt they have like more scottish games than others and the only 1s that interest me are celtic v rangers all the others are crap .
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 pm

they have 30+ premiership games aswell as blue square premier and all the british nations away qualifiers
Back to top Go down
BarryEvans
Admin
Admin
BarryEvans

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:01 am

TommySwfc wrote:
well think about it your telling me that sky would possibley lose the england games ?

Setanta offered more money for the rights, as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Doubt it either way setanta is a great package in my eyes scotish football all the premier league games internationals and blue square premier games all the boxin all the golf even got there own sports news show plus you get liverpool tv celtic tv arsenal tv and few others so for the 9 pound a month we pay for both rooms its well worth it
Back to top Go down
Darlo vicki

Darlo vicki

Female

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm

yeh its a good enough deal but the quality is terrible even channel 5 is better
Back to top Go down
BarryEvans
Admin
Admin
BarryEvans

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:06 pm

TommySwfc wrote:
Doubt it either way setanta is a great package in my eyes scotish football all the premier league games internationals and blue square premier games all the boxin all the golf even got there own sports news show plus you get liverpool tv celtic tv arsenal tv and few others so for the 9 pound a month we pay for both rooms its well worth it

Are you kidding, do you seriously think that you sat there in your bedroom have worked out this great conspiracy that Sky and Setanta are the same?

They are not. As simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Nelson

Nelson

Male

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 8:49 pm

ok then not really botherd because i can watch all the football tonite so either way it doesnt affect me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cole To the rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cole To the rescue   Cole To the rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Cole To the rescue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Four-Four-Two.co.uk :: World Leagues and International Tournaments :: International Football-
Jump to: