Four-Four-Two.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four-Four-Two.co.uk

Discussion Forum For Football Fans Around The World!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Celtic and Strachan part company

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Celtic and Strachan part company Empty
PostSubject: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company EmptyMon May 25, 2009 6:45 pm

Gordon Strachan is leaving Celtic just one day after surrendering the Scottish Premier League title to Rangers.

Strachan began his four-year tenure with three consecutive league successes but his side let slip a seven-point lead established by the end of 2008.

The former Coventry and Southampton boss also won two League Cups and enjoyed a Scottish Cup triumph in 2007.

The 52-year-old said: "It has been an absolute honour and privilege to be the club's manager for four years."

Strachan, who was on a 12-month rolling contract and has been linked with the vacancy at Sunderland, added: "We have done all we can to bring success to the club and we were delighted to deliver three SPL titles, other domestic silverware, as well as making some great progress in Europe.

"It is just disappointing that we did not manage the fourth championship. However, the players can hold their heads high in terms of what they have done in recent years.

"I would like to thank the Celtic board for all the support they have given me, in particular Dermot Desmond, John Reid, Peter Lawwell and former chairman Brian Quinn - I could not have asked for any more support.

"I thank all the players I have worked with at the club and, of course, my backroom team for the backing and assistance which they have given me.

"I thank the fans too for the tremendous support which they have given both myself and the players. I wish Celtic and our supporters nothing but success for the future."

Strachan, who won 50 caps for Scotland, began his career with Dundee, before moving on to Aberdeen, Manchester United, Leeds United and finally Coventry City.

Following a break of more than a year, he returned to management to succeed Martin O'Neill at Celtic Park on 1 June 2005 and had an embarrassing start to his reign, losing 5-0 to Slovakian champions Artmedia Bratislava in a Champions League qualifier.

Three days later, Celtic only managed to draw 4-4 with Motherwell in his first match in the SPL.

After that wobble and, although they led the SPL by 20 points, Strachan again suffered criticism when Celtic were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by First Division Clyde.

That first season ended with a Scottish Cup and league double and a manager of the year award from the Scottish Football Writers' Association.

By January of the next season, Celtic held a 17-point lead in the SPL standings and progressed to the final 16 of the Champions League for the first time, losing to eventual winners AC Milan in extra time.

A 41st league championship was secured and Celtic went on to beat Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup final.

Strachan again led the Glasgow outfit into the last 16 of the Champions League and, last season, became only the third-ever Celtic manager to lead the club to three consecutive Scottish league titles.

Despite his excellent record, Strachan struggled to completely win over the club's supporters, in contrast to the widespread adulation enjoyed by his predecessor O'Neill.

This season brought criticism of Celtic's playing style and Strachan's team selections, although he could argue an injection of quality to his squad in January, when they had the edge over Rangers, may have made the difference.

Only Willo Flood from Dundee United was added to the first team squad and he barely featured in the run-in.

A high-profile dressing-room bust-up with Aiden McGeady, which led to a two-week suspension and club fine for the Republic of Ireland star, was a test of character for Strachan.

And his decision to omit McGeady from the starting line-up in the recent 1-0 loss to Rangers at Ibrox also attracted flak from fans.

Celtic needed a win at Hibernian on the penultimate game of the league campaign to go level on points with Rangers, with a better goal difference, but were held to a 0-0 draw.

And the season fizzled out with another blank scoreline at home to Hearts, as Rangers secured the title with a win over Dundee United at Tannadice.

BBC Sport

Yet another manager of a major side leaves. Yet another european football giant is on the look out for another manager.

On the other hand Strachan has provided himself with a good CV. Yes it's not that hard to win the SPL with Celtic but he has added a European domestic league to his cabinet so job searches will now certainly consider him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com
Darlo vicki

Darlo vicki

Female
Number of posts : 1710
Club : Darlington
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:26 pm

newcastle should get him
Back to top Go down
RobBFC
RobBFC

Male
Number of posts : 4710
Club : Barnsley
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company EmptyTue May 26, 2009 1:32 am

He will go to Sunderland, watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Billy Casper

Billy Casper

Male
Number of posts : 5869
Club : Barnsley Football Club
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company EmptyTue May 26, 2009 1:46 am

I think so too Rob, i saw this rumour start in the Daily Mirror, but i reckon its more than just a rumour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hihosuperbarnsley.bebo.com
Darlo vicki

Darlo vicki

Female
Number of posts : 1710
Club : Darlington
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:17 am

i heard steve bruce to sunderland
Back to top Go down
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

Darlo vicki wrote:
i heard steve bruce to sunderland

That rumour started yesterday and he's now the favourite. But in an interview on Sky Sports News a couple of minutes ago their North East corrospondent said that know appointment will be made until the takeover by Ellis Short is made, so no shortlist has been drawn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celtic and Strachan part company   Celtic and Strachan part company Empty

Back to top Go down

Celtic and Strachan part company
Page 1 of 1