Four-Four-Two.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four-Four-Two.co.uk

Discussion Forum For Football Fans Around The World!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Man City target Eto'o offered new contract

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Man City target Eto'o offered new contract Empty
PostSubject: Man City target Eto'o offered new contract   Man City target Eto'o offered new contract EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Barcelona have offered Manchester City's £25m transfer target Samuel Eto'o a new two-year contract, according to the striker's agent.

Josep Maria Mesalles revealed the offer at a press conference designed to clarify the 28-year-old's future.

He claimed the offer was on the same terms as his current deal and he would be prepared to discuss a move to Eastlands if Barca opted to sell him.

The Cameroon striker is scheduled to return to training on 20 July.

Mesalles insisted Eto'o had been told at the end of the season that he was not in coach Pep Guardiola's plans for next term - but now a new offered had been tabled by the Catalans on Monday evening.

He said: "On June 2, the club called a meeting and I was told by Barca sporting director Txiki Begiristain and director of football Raul Sanllehi that due to a technical decision, Samuel does not feature in the club's plans next season.

"We then had another meeting and I was told once again that Samuel was not in their plans for next season. Guardiola said at the end of the season that he was delighted with Samuel, so I don't know what has changed.

"My mistake was to not verify this information and we need to find out what the coach wants, because he is the one who ultimately decides."

And he now wants further talks with Barcelona about the change of heart that has resulted in Eto'o being offered a fresh contract.

Mesalles said: "I don't know if everything changed in the space of an afternoon, I don't know if they really want Samuel to stay of if they just want to make money out of him.

"He would be delighted to stay if they want him and we will study their offer if it is serious, but if they don't want him we will do all we can to help Samuel find a new club

"We have not sat down to speak to them Manchester City, but they have made Barcelona an offer. In theory he wanted to play in the Champions League, but if Manchester City have an offer accepted, we would be delighted to go there."

City's move may have become entangled in politics at the Nou Camp, with Eto'o aware he can leave on a free transfer in a year's time and Barcelona facing the prospect of missing out on a huge fee if he decides to stay.

The Spanish club's president Joan Laporta claimed City have made the Cameroon international a "stratospheric offer" to join them.

Reports have suggested the Eastlands club have offered Eto'o wages of up to £250,000 per week, which would make him the highest-paid player in the world.

City refused to confirm or deny that they have made an offer.

Eto'o joined Barcelona in 2004, signing from Mallorca for a fee of about £16m, and has since scored more than 100 goals in his five seasons with the club.

He helped the Catalan side to win a treble trophy haul of the Spanish league title, domestic cup and Champions League in the 2008-2009 campaign.

Eto'o scored the opening goal in the Champions League final in Rome as Barcelona beat Manchester United 2-0.

In doing so he became only the second player, after Raul, to score in two Champions League finals because Eto'o was also on target in Barcelona's 2-1 victory against Arsenal in 2006.

Already this summer City have signed striker Roque Santa Cruz from Blackburn for £18m and Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry for £12m.

And it is believed City are also chasing Manchester United forward Carlos Tevez, who is soon to be out of contract, and Everton defender Joleon Lescott.

Espanyol have also confirmed that City are keen to sign their 16-year-old midfielder Joan Angel Roman.

BBC Sport
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com

Man City target Eto'o offered new contract
Page 1 of 1