Four-Four-Two.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four-Four-Two.co.uk

Discussion Forum For Football Fans Around The World!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart" Empty
PostSubject: Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart"   Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart" EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Sunday Mirror wrote:
Not much has changed for Aston Villa in the 18 seasons of the Premier League. For most of that time they've been knocking on the door of greatness, have seen it opened once or twice - but never been quite able to put their foot across the threshold.

Can it be different this time? Can manager Martin O'Neill turn them from a nearly team into something special? Or does Manchester City's financial muscle mean Villa's one chance to break into the Champions League cartel came and went last season?

On the face of it, the sale of Gareth Barry and the loss through injury of Martin Laursen could have ended Villa's hopes this summer. But Steve Staunton believes with a little bit of patience the club might yet see O'Neill make the big step that the likes of Ron Atkinson, Brian Little and John Gregory were never able to.

Former Republic of Ireland manager, Staunton was part of Big Ron's side in 1993, who were runners-up in the first Premier League season. He has lived in the area ever since, and knows exactly the agonies that Villa fans have suffered this summer.

Staunton said: "I've been around and in the area long enough to know about the club. You have a good year or two, everyone is expecting this, that and the other to happen, and it goes pear-shaped."

"In that first case I don't think Big Ron was allowed to kick the club forward. Different things make the same pattern get repeated. But I believe under this owner and manager that won't happen. They will continue to build. That's why I think it's a great time for the club - and Villa fans are great supporters - to really back the manager and the youngsters and trust that things will happen."

Staunton's belief is based on the youth of the side O'Neill has assembled so far. He said: "I'll tell you what, there are alot of clubs very envious of the young players coming through at Villa. And I'd rather have that because you can always buy older ones. Ashley Young, for instance, looked absolutely dazzling at times last season and what ages is he - just 24?"

"Then there are people like Gabby Abonlahor and James Milner, who are younger still but they've got solid Premier League expierence. Look at what they've done, winning a pre-season tournament against the likes of Porto and Juventus with a lot of youth team players in the squad. That tells you that those top players can cope with the game at the top level if they are given the time to progress."

"I hear all the time when I'm out and about that Villa fans are worried. Listen, every club goes into the season worried. Expectations get higher and blah, blah, blah. I think Villa have made things tougher for themselves in terms of expectations because they have actually over-achieved in the last two years. And if Villa fans are honest they will know that too. But I still think that if Martin can sustain what he has done then the future's amazing."

Staunton, who worked at Leeds as Gary McAllistar's assistant and is now completing his Pro Licence after spending the summer doing a study assignment in Australlia, knows plenty about O'Neill's teenage recruit Fabien Delph. He said: "The fans will miss Gareth Barry, but I'll tell you what, they will be plesaently surprised by the youthful hunger and ability of this kid."

"He won't be a world beater in one year, but he will make that £8million price tag look like a snip if he continues his development the way he has been. Fabian's hungry in his ambition, he wants to learn, he's level-headed and now he's with one of the best coaching staff in the country to guide him along. Martin has vast expierence of bringing young players through, and that will benefit not only Fabian, but the others coming out of the system here."
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com
Billy Casper

Billy Casper

Male
Number of posts : 5869
Club : Barnsley Football Club
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart"   Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart" EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 2:32 am

I cant stand the Feenian bastard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hihosuperbarnsley.bebo.com

Daily Mirror, Steve Stuanton Interview: "Young at heart"
Page 1 of 1