Four-Four-Two.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four-Four-Two.co.uk

Discussion Forum For Football Fans Around The World!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge

Go down 

Will Beckham break Shilton's record
Yes
Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge I_vote_lcap0%Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No
Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge I_vote_lcap100%Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge Empty
PostSubject: Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge   Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm

England's most capped player Peter Shilton does not expect midfielder David Beckham to beat his record.

Beckham equalled Bobby Moore's outfield record of 108 caps and is now joint-second behind 125-cap Shilton.

Shilton told BBC Radio Stoke: "I don't think he'll beat my record. If he does it I'll congratulate him.

"But I hope he does it in style, rather than by the back door. There's a bit of debate about whether there should be caps given for substitute appearances."

The former goalkeeper, who retired in 1997 at the age of 47, elaborated: "Like the game against Belarus recently, it was a bit of a joke for a player of his quality, in the situation of the game, to come on for a minute.

"Against Kazakhstan he came on with 15 minutes to go and made a difference against a team that was tiring badly, and that was a good ploy at that stage.

"To maintain his fitness levels for so long, you have to admire him, and you don't get over 100 caps if you're not a good player."

Shilton won the last of his 125 England caps at the 1990 World Cup in Italy.

But Beckham, who is currently on loan at AC Milan from Los Angeles Galaxy, will break Shilton's record in the quarter-finals of the World Cup in South Africa in 2010 if he plays a part in every England qualifier and friendly match to that point.

BBC Sport
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com

Shilton doubts Becks' cap record challenge
Page 1 of 1