Four-Four-Two.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four-Four-Two.co.uk

Discussion Forum For Football Fans Around The World!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

England v Slovakia

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

England v Slovakia Empty
PostSubject: England v Slovakia   England v Slovakia EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 10:13 pm

England captain John Terry believes the success of the team is reliant on the players maintaining self-control.

Terry's comments come after coach Fabio Capello criticised Wayne Rooney over his recent dismissal at Fulham.

And while the Chelsea centre-back said he hopes Rooney "never loses his passion", he also wants to see players channel their aggression the right way.

"Discipline is key. We want to keep cool heads," said Terry ahead of Saturday's friendly against Slovakia.

"Some players are born with passion and fire in their belly and if you try to take it away they won't be the same.

"But collectively, we speak and help each other through games - if you see someone 'boiling up'.

"If we see something on the pitch one of us will say something."

Rooney received a second yellow card for throwing the ball in the direction of referee Phil Dowd as Manchester United lost 2-0 at Fulham last weekend.

And when Rooney arrived at the England training camp, Capello asked him: "What were you doing punching the corner flag? You're a crazy man, a crazy man."

Capello revealed on Friday that he was joking with Rooney and insisted there was no problem with the striker and there would be no issues in the future.

"He is young and sometimes his reactions are not so good, but he's a good player and man," said Capello.

"I spoke to him and sometimes we need to be a little bit aggressive. With him, I hope the level of the aggression will be balanced. Just aggressive, not too much."

On Thursday, former England skipper David Beckham gave his backing to Rooney and urged Capello not try to curb Rooney's temperament.

He said: "You don't get the great player that he is without the temperament and his attitude.

"Taking that away from a player is dangerous, it changes him."

In the 1998 World Cup, Beckham, then 22, was infamously sent off for kicking out at Argentine Diego Simeone in retaliation for a foul.

Now the most senior member of the squad and on the verge of becoming England's most-capped outfield player, Beckham believes Capello will not need to rein Rooney in.

"I don't think anyone will try and do that with Wayne, I don't think that's an issue," he added.

"He is passionate about the game, he is passionate about winning. When things aren't going his way he's like every other player that wants to win - he shows his frustration.

"Sometimes it's too much, it's been too much with me in the past, but he's got enough people around him that protect him.

"He's got two managers that will look after him and know how to get the best out of him, and they do that."

The 23-year-old was infamously sent off in England's 2006 World Cup quarter-final defeat by Portugal, but has gone without a caution in his last five internationals.

Before Saturday's indiscretion, for which he will miss United's 5 April meeting with Aston Villa, Rooney had picked up only six bookings in the league this season.

It is thought that Capello has been concerned by a number of incidents involving members of his squad since the last time they met up.

Ashley Cole was arrested earlier this month for being drunk and disorderly, while Steven Gerrard faces affray charges over a disturbance at a Southport bar in December.

The Italian disciplinarian hopes a gentle warning will be enough to remind Rooney and others of the need for discipline as they look to make it five wins from five at the top of their World Cup qualifying group against Ukraine on Wednesday.

BBC Sport

England manager Fabio Capello faces a choice between Aaron Lennon or David Beckham for the right midfield spot for Saturday's friendly with Slovakia.

Manchester City's Shaun Wright-Phillips has been unable to train all week and is a major doubt with an ankle injury.

Beckham and Lennon should both feature, with Beckham in line to earn his 109th cap and become England's most-capped outfield player ahead of Bobby Moore.

"Beckham is in good form. He is playing at first-team level," said Capello.

"I've had a look at him in training, and it is a very good moment for him."

England face a World Cup qualifier with Ukraine on Wednesday and striker Peter Crouch, who missed training earlier in the week, is set to return from a calf injury for Saturday's friendly.

Keeper Ben Foster could make a surprise start at Wembley, while Steven Gerrard may start on the left of midfield with a licence to roam infield. while

Fellow midfielder Beckham said he is more determined to help England reach the 2010 World Cup in South Africa than focusing on reaching the 109-cap milestone.

The 33-year-old said: "It would be special but I would rather get the team to the World Cup than anything else.

"When I was on 94 caps I never expected to make 100."

Should he be chosen in the first XI it would be the 100th start of his England career, but it is a position he refuses to take for granted as just over two years ago his international career seemed over.

He added: "I didn't believe I would play for England once I was taken out of the team.

"When I was left out of the squad by [former coach] Steve McClaren I just allowed myself to be proud of the number of caps I had.

"As a young boy all I dreamed of was playing at Wembley and playing for my country, even if it was just the once.

"It was only when I got to 50 that I thought about reaching 100. But I definitely felt I would end up on 94."

Beckham's career has been revitalised by a loan move from Los Angeles Galaxy to AC Milan and it appears to have secured his short-term future in the squad.

If he stays fit throughout their World Cup qualification campaign - and the tournament itself should they qualify - he is in line to break Peter Shilton's all-time England record of 125 caps.

That landmark, though, is not something he is considering at the moment.

"Once we've qualified I need to stay fit and get in the squad," he said. "If that happens we will wait and see where I am on the caps front.

"If I break Shilton's record then great. If not we will have to see what the future holds."

BBC Sport
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com
Rob of the Rovers

Rob of the Rovers

Male
Number of posts : 1099
Club : DONCASTER ROVERS
Registration date : 2008-01-21

England v Slovakia Empty
PostSubject: Re: England v Slovakia   England v Slovakia EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 pm

England eased to a 4-0 international friendly victory over Slovakia at Wembley as David Beckham landed a record-breaking 109th cap on Saturday evening.

Fabio Capello's side, who play Ukraine in a World Cup qualifier next Wednesday, were awarded for their ferocious start to the encounter when striker Emile Hesky's pressure on defender Martin Skrtel saw the ball bundled home.

But England took their foot off the gas for the remainder of the half and were not helped after Heskey was forced off with hamstring trouble, before his replacement Carlton Cole also suffered an injury.

Capello made a further three changes for the second half, with on-loan AC Milan midfielder Beckham the most significant as the former captain surpassed Bobby Moore's outfield record of international appearances for England.

And Beckham marked the occasion with a fine cross to allow the impressive Wayne Rooney to double their lead, however the game was partly marred by yet another injury to a forward as Peter Crouch limped off late on, before Frank Lampard and Rooney sealed the win.

Sky Sports
Back to top Go down
http://www.offsideref.com
Billy Casper

Billy Casper

Male
Number of posts : 5869
Club : Barnsley Football Club
Registration date : 2008-01-15

England v Slovakia Empty
PostSubject: Re: England v Slovakia   England v Slovakia EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Crouch must be fuming with JT over the disallowed gol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hihosuperbarnsley.bebo.com
Sponsored content

England v Slovakia Empty
PostSubject: Re: England v Slovakia   England v Slovakia Empty

Back to top Go down

England v Slovakia
Page 1 of 1